In this 2-day intensive training, our experts will examine the concept of assessment and evaluation of State aid measures and present examples on how to apply various methodologies to your projects.Share
A primary objective of the State Aid Modernisation initiative was to improve the “assessment of genuine market failures, the incentive effect and the negative effects of public interventions”. In addition, the Commission intends to request ex-post “evaluation” of implemented State aid schemes. Due to these new requirements, State aid experts struggle with the application of the evaluation methodologies necessary for the rightful implementation of their measures. The purpose of this seminar is to explain how ex-ante assessment and ex-post evaluation of State aid measures can be effectively achieved with the use of well-established methodologies.
You will be actively involved in the training. The sessions will combine presentations, case studies and discussion on practical problems. You will have ample opportunities to present your own problematic issues and discuss them with the speakers and participants from other Member States. Do you want to get sure, that our experts will cover the topics most interesting for you? Just send us your cases and questions in advance. We will forward them to our speakers.
- Ex-ante Assessment: The Need and Amount of Aid
- Financial Viability, Use of Financial Indicators and Cost of Capital
- EU Rules on Ex-post Evaluation andResults
- Case Studies:
- Use of Financial Indicators
- FundingGap Method
- Evaluation Methodologies
- Relevant Statistical Techniques
- Identifying the Right Control Group
- Case Study:
- The Experience of the Netherlands
- Lessons to be Drawn
State aid officials from:
- Ministries and other national authorities
- State Aid Monitoring Offices
- Regional governments
- Communal and city councils involved in granting State aid in sectors such as:
- Transport and infrastructure
- Environment and energy
- Telecommunication and broadband
- Social services and health
- Employees of National and Regional Development Agencies
- Lawyers and Consultants specialized in public affairs
Training Material – No need to miss anything!
If you are unable to make it to the training you may want to order a copy of the printed material including the access data to all presentations shown during the event. The price is € 199,- (excl. of VAT). If interested, please contact Enrica Corpace.
Day 1: Tuesday, 9 June | 09:00 - 17:00
Welcome note by Lexxion and chair. Introduction of participants
Introduction: Why Carry Out an Ex-ante Assessment and an Ex-post Evaluation of State Aid?
- Explanation of the legal requirements
- Benefits to be derived from proper assessment and evaluation of State aid measures
Part 1: Ex-ante Assessment – The Need and Amount of Aid
Identifiying the Need for and Amount of State Aid
- Demonstration of the establishment of need for aid
- Demonstration of the calculation of the minimum necessary amount of aid
Case Study: Funding Gap Method
During this session numerical examples will be used to show how to calculate the funding gap and what mistakes should be avoided.
Financial Viability – Use of Financial Indicators and Cost of Capital
These financial calculations have dual purpose. They can prove the absence of aid but they can also prove that the aid is the minimum necessary and therefore proportional.
Case Study: Use of Financial Indicators
- Demonstration of proper use of financial indicators
- Mistakes to avoid
Part 2: Ex-post Evaluation: Priciples and Record so Far
EU Rules on Ex-post Evaluation and Results So Far
- Review of the main common features of the various methodologies
- Weaknesses and other issues for which the Commission expressed concern
Q&A and Summary of Day 1
Day 2: Wednesday, 10 June | 09:30 - 15:30
Part 3: Evaluation Methodologies
Defining the Right Methodology for Ex-post Evaluation
- Presentation of the choices for different methodologies
- Advantages and disadvantages of the methodologies
Part 4: Techniques
Relevant Statistical Techniques
- Statistical analysis is indispensable for proper evaluation
- Review of the main statistical techniques for analysing large amounts of data
Identifying the Right Control Group
How to identify a control group which is as similar as possible to the aid recipients
Part 5: Problem-solving Session
You are invited to send us your questions beforehand to make sure that your particular problems/cases will be addressed during this session.
End of the training and distribution of Certificates
*Programme might be subject to changes
Reduced fee for public authorities: € 1.240,- (excl. VAT)
Regular fee: € 1.640,- (excl. VAT)
Discount for European State Aid Law Quarterly (EStAL) subscribers: € 100,-
The Belgian VAT of 21% will be added.
The number of seats is limited. Registrations will be accepted first come, first served.
Buchungen sind für diese Veranstaltung nicht mehr möglich.