State aid rules for agricultural and rural development measures present the double challenge of implementing the general principles of competition and State aid law and having to guarantee coherence with the EU’s common agricultural and rural development policies.
Our experts will give you a comprehensive overview on the concepts and rules applicable for the agricultural products and share with you their experiences on how to ensure compliance of your projects with the State aid law.
A special focus will be laid on the State aid requirements for the funding from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) as well as on the loans, guarantees and other financial instruments for rural development.
This course is eligible for Professional Certificate on EU State Aid Law.
The participants will be actively involved in the training. The sessions will combine presentations, case studies and discussion on practical problems. You will have ample opportunities to present your own problematic issues and discuss them with the speakers and participants from other Member States.
Just send to us your cases and questions in advance! We will forward them to our speakers, who will include your issues in the programme and answer them during the training. All information concerning such problems and cases will be treated confidentially.
- Officials form Ministries involved in funding and co-financing and marketing of agricultural and forestry projects and products, such as:
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Rural Development
- Ministry of Forestry
- Ministry of Regional Development
- Officials from National State Aid Monitoring Offices
- Experts working with the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) as well as with other EU Funds and programmes supporting rural development
- Experts providing and supervising of national payments in the agricultural sector from:
- National Paying Agencies
- Rural Development Funds
- State Funds
- Credit Guarantee Funds
- Experts from public and private banks providing loans and guarantees for agricultural and rural development projects
- Experts from farmers’ associations and other agricultural organizations
Confirmation of Participation
A confirmation of participation will be handed out after the training.
State Aid Uncovered
Training participants will receive a free copy of Phedon Nicolaides’ book ‘State Aid Uncovered’, a compilation of all State Aid Uncovered articles from 2018.
Find the latest articles on: http://stateaidhub.eu/blogs/stateaiduncovered
Day 1: Tuesday, 28 April | 09:00 - 17:45
Welcome note by chair of the training
- Introduction of participants
Session 1: Concept of State Aid and Regulatory Framework
Concept of State aid and how it applies to Agriculture – An Overview
- EU system of state aid control
- The specificities of the agricultural sector
- Sector-specific compatibility rules
- The application of the Art 107 (1) TFEU criteria to the agricultural sector
State aid rules applicable in parallel to EU co-financing rules
- Rural development programmes and need for State aid clereance
- The notion of Article 42 of the TFEU and its practical implications of the application of State aid rules in the agricultural sector
The Framework of rules of State aid in the agricultural and forestry sector and in rural areas
- Agricultural de minimis (Regulation No. 1308/2013)
- Agricultural State aid Guidelines 2014 to 2020
- Agricultural Block Exemption Regulation (ABER)
Annex I and non-Annex I Products
- Demarcation line between Annex I and non-Annex I products
- Processing of agricultural products into non-agricultural products
Session 2: State aid for Rural Development and Forestry
State aid for Rural Development and Forestry
- Public aid in line with Common Agricultural and Rural Development Policies
- Objective of public aid in rural areas
- Forestry: Applicable rules and overview of recent cases
Parafiscal Levies or Charges on Agricultural Products
- Exisitence and compatibility of State aid with the Internal Market rules
Discussion and End of Day 1
Day 2: Wednesday, 29 April | 09:00 - 16:45
Session 3: Adverse weather conditions and natural disaster
Adverse weather conditions and natural disasters in theory and practice
- Lessons from Germany on aid to make good damage by adverse weather conditions
Aid for payment of insurance premium
- Lessons from Spain
Assessment of effective State aid
Session 4: Financial Instruments: Loans and Guarantees for Rural Development
Case Study on Forestry Funding (ERDF or EAFRD?) in compliance with State aid Law
Application of State aid rules to Financial Instruments and applicable regulation
- General overview
- Off-the-shelf instruments
- Use of de minimis for loans and guarantees
- Financial Instruments in GBER and Risk Finance guidelines
First Financial Instruments in the area of EAFRD
- Case study on France: Discussion of the study “Fiancial Instruments for rural development 2014-2020, Occitanie/Pyrénée-Méditerranée, France”
Senior expert and partner, t33 sound policy, Italy
End of the Training & Distribution of your Certificates
*Programme may be subject to change
Hotel near the venue
Reduced fee for public authorities: € 1.240,- (excl. VAT)
Regular fee: € 1.640,- (excl. VAT)
Discount for European State Aid Law Quarterly (EStAL) subscribers: € 100,-
The Belgian VAT of 21% will be added where applicable.
The number of seats is limited. Registrations will be accepted first come, first served.